We comply with the UK Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the UK-GDPR), the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and any other relevant data privacy laws.
Information we collect and how we use it
When you visit our website, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. This information is held for statistical and administration purposes only and is collected in a way which does not identify you. This information records statistical data such as the number of visitors to our website. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any personally identifying information from any source. The data collected includes information such as:
- your IP (Internet Protocol) address;
- the pages on our website that you visit;
- the type of browser and operating system being used;
We offer a number of services that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to us, such as SchemeServe Search. In order to provide our full range of services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide – When you sign up for a SchemeServe account, other SchemeServe service or promotion that requires registration, we will ask you for personal information such as your name, and email address. For certain services, we may also request credit card or other payment account information which we maintain in an encrypted form on secure servers. We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from SchemeServe or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. Where applicable, we will give you the opportunity to opt-out of combining such information.
- User communications – When you send an email or other communication to SchemeServe, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- Telephone Calls – Telephone calls may be recorded for training and security purposes.
- Links – SchemeServe may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our products and services, customized content and advertising.
- Providing our services to users, including the display of customized content and advertising;
- Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services;
- Ensuring the technical functioning of our network; and
- Developing new services.
You can find more information about how we process personal information by referring to the supplementary privacy notices for particular services.
SchemeServe processes personal information on our servers in the United Kingdom. In some cases, we process personal information on a server outside your own country. We may process personal information to provide our own services. In some cases, we may process personal information on behalf of and according to the instructions of a third party, such as our advertising partners.
If you use a password to access our services, you are responsible for keeping that password confidential. Please don’t share it. We cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to us; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have your data, we use strict security procedures and features to try and prevent unauthorised use.
Choices for personal information
When you sign up for a particular service that requires registration, we ask you to provide personal information. If we use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use.
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some SchemeServe features and services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
You can decline to submit personal information to any of our services, in which case SchemeServe may not be able to provide those services to you.
SchemeServe only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of SchemeServe in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of SchemeServe, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share with third parties’ certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who searched for a particular term, for example, or how many users clicked on a particular advertisement or how many policies there are in certain categories. Such information does not identify you individually.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorised access to or unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorised access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to personal information to SchemeServe employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution if they fail to meet these obligations.
Accessing and updating personal information
When you use SchemeServe services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests. We may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case, where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Some of our services may have different procedures to access, correct or delete users’ personal information. We usually provide the details for these procedures in the specific privacy notices or FAQs or help guides for these services but for information on any of these procedures, please contact us.
When we receive formal written complaints, it is SchemeServe’s policy to contact the complaining user regarding his or her concerns. We will cooperate with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that cannot be resolved between SchemeServe and an individual.
A ‘cookie’ is a piece of information that gets stored on the device you are browsing from. They can record how you move around a website so that when you revisit it can present tailored options based on the information stored about your last visit. Cookies can also be used to analyse traffic and for advertising and marketing purposes. In most cases, cookies are not intrusive but are there to make the page work better either directly (such as essential cookies), or indirectly (such as analytics cookies to assist in making the site easier to use).
Some cookies could be considered intrusive if they collect personal data or otherwise identify you as an individual and further use this data. SchemeServe do not use such cookies on this website.
There are two types of cookies used on our website, strictly necessary cookies, and performance cookies.
‘Strictly Necessary’ cookies let you move around the website and use essential features. Our website won’t work without these, so they do not require consent. These cookies don’t gather any personal information that could be used for marketing or remembering where you’ve been on the internet.
‘Performance’ cookies collect information about the pages you visit and how you use website. These cookies don’t collect any information that could identify you, the information collected is anonymous and is used to help improve website layout and functionality, understand which parts of the website our customers find the most useful.
Cookies we use:
Please note that not of the all cookies are used at all times, you may have a selection of these cookies depending on the services you are using.
You can opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. Alternatively, some web browsers may have plug-ins that enable analytical cookies to be blocked.
We may make changes to our Privacy Notice in the future. Any updates or changes will be posted on this page and will be reflected in the version date.
Page last updated: 27/05/2021